Friday 4 March 2016

HOW TO EARN UP TO 30K AS A #NAIL TECHNICIAN...



My Dress Agency went from strength to strength but my health didn't. I had to have emergency surgery for a prolapsed disc in my neck and was told I could not run the business any longer. A local lady bought the business which continued to grow. 
I couldn't sit still and tried to think of something that I could run from home so that it would fit it in with the children's school run and holidays.
I decided to go on a beauty course and learn how to do nail extensions which was the next up and coming trend. This was back in the late 80's when it was only just coming into fashion so I went to London and I learnt the trade and came back with the kit and certificate to get going with my new business. The course wasn't expensive and neither was the kit. The only other thing I needed to pay for was Public Liability Insurance. I didn't write a business plan for this business as I just thought I would see how things when with my health. The tax man already had me down as self employed so it was easy to fill in all the book keeping.


It wasn't long before I had a regular clientele coming regularly for their nail treatments. Word of mouth soon got me some new clients and I had all the contacts I had made through the dress agency. It fitted in perfectly with the children and all their activities.
The nail extension business is now absolutely massive but the latest craze is for gel nails instead of extensions. The kit that you need is simple and easy to buy and there are a number of courses you could go on. You must get public liability insurance in case of any injuries and make sure you train with a reputable company that gives you a certificate/diploma at the end of it.

Some great courses that I found are Essential Nails which say you can earn 30K a year as a nail technician. They run Diploma Courses from £219 which is the Gel Polish Course, you can then add on other courses as you go along and include pedicures. Nail Diploma Co  run online training courses from £199 for a complete Nail Technicians Diploma Award. There are 25 modules which you can study from your PC in your own time. The choice is vast and I would suggest you spend some time researching them all before deciding on one particular course. 
There are a number of great nail magazines.  Nails Magazine which has everything you could ever need or want to know about the nail business and what the latest fashion is for nails. It is an award winning publication with over 30 years industry experience. It covers the latest in a wide variety of topics, including Technique, Business, Style and Health stories. Scratch
is another great magazine to check out what's happening in the industry.



To become a nail technician, you will need to have creativity and patience. Customer service and people skills is important so you can talk to your customers. You are responsible for the grooming and appearance of your clients fingernails and toenails. Health and safety is extremely important and you will need to make sure that you use the correct chemicals within the industry to prevent any damage or infection to clients nails.

I found the job very rewarding and made some lovely friendships with my clients. Unfortunately on the way to do one of my clients nails I was involved in a car accident where I was hit from behind. At first I thought the pain was just whiplash and that it would settle down. But, just by way of a change, I had to slow down on my nail business in the hope my neck would settle down.



This great book 'The Complete Nail Technician (Hairdressing and Beauty Industry Authority) is a must for your bookshelf.



No comments:

Post a Comment